About Graduate Carrels
Graduate carrels are available for currently enrolled graduate students and undergraduate honors students who need to gather and hold research materials in the library. Carrels may be renewed annually.
Carrels are located around the perimeters of floors three through six. Up to two people may be assigned to a carrel at any time.
Carrels are not lockable, so no personal items may be left when unoccupied.
Direct any questions about the carrels to the Public Services Desk at 865-974-4351.
Checking Out Items to a Carrel
- Take the book(s) to the Public Services Desk for checkout. You will be asked to complete a carrel slip to be placed in the book.
- Books, and their carrel slips, must remain in the carrel. Library books checked out to carrels should be placed on the top surface of the carrel's "L" arm or its bookshelf.
- Books may be checked out to carrels for the academic year.
- Periodicals (magazines and journals) cannot be checked out to carrels.
- Items that have not been checked out will be removed from carrels.
Removing Items from a Carrel
- When a book is no longer needed in a carrel, turn the slip around so that the "Return To Stacks" message is visible. Notify the Public Services Desk to remove the book.
- Books may be removed from carrels if requested by another person. A notice will be placed in the study or carrel from which a book is taken.
Click on a carrel number below to request assignment to that specific carrel. NetID login required.[ Print List ]
|3rd Floor||4th Floor||5th Floor||6th Floor|
- None -